Ready Your Building
Determine charge level for your equipment
You will be choosing between three basic charging levels (level 1, 2, or 3/DC fast charging). In most scenarios, level 2 charging will fit the bill.
Level 1 delivers a maximum of 120 volts through a standard electrical outlet.
- Pro: Little to no installation costs: level 1 charging can be completed through the average electrical outlet, so it may not require additional installation at all.
- Con: Slow charge times: Level 1 can fully recharge the standard EV in about 8 hours, delivering 2-5 miles of range per hour of charge.
- Who might consider Level 1? Level 1 charging may be appropriate for your property if you expect tenants to be on site overnight or throughout the day, or there is an outlet readily available and accessible to start EV charging today!
Level 2 delivers a maximum of 240 volts through an electrical outlet similar to that of a dryer.
- Pro: Faster charge time; Level 2 can recharge a standard EV battery in about half the time as level 1, delivering 5-10 miles of range per hour of charge time.
- Con: usually requires additional EVSE installation, and the cost of installation will vary depending the need for infrastructure changes.
- Who might consider Level 2? Level 2 charging stations will meet the needs of most properties, particularly apartments or workplaces. Level 2 can meet the needs of most EV users without extensive costs or hassle.
Level 3, or DC fast charging, delivers over 360 volts using new and developing charging technologies.
- Pro: Fastest charge time: DC fast chargers deliver 60-80 miles of range in just 20 minutes of charge time. Within 30 minutes, you can recharge the battery up to 80%.
- Con: This type of charging is still quite costly and not widely available on a commercial basis.
- Who might consider Fast Charging? Fast charging could easily become the norm of the future as EV technology becomes more sophisticated, so this is good for forward looking property managers who may have customers that are not on site for as long of periods of time.